Tonight, my friends, I have created a thing of beauty. A thing of absolute beauty.
I had no intentions to, of course. I simply started following a recipe. A recipe of which I have made the cupcakes several times, but have never made the frosting. I used up the last of my previous batch of experimental frosting and set out to try the frosting that came as part of the cupcake recipe. After all, I still had cupcakes to frost!
I was not overly impressed with the orange frosting (I have the feeling I would have liked it better made with a coconutty spread instead of the strongly flavored non-dairy/non-soy margarine I had to use, knowing that one of the people I’m going to share these with tomorrow is allergic to coconut), and the chocolate frosting did not turn out quite right for me. Instead, I wound up with:
Decadent Truffle Frosting
Ingredients (Please note amounts may not be exact as I am still finalizing this recipe; I will update it with final measurements as soon as possible, but this was too good to wait to share!):
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Non-Soy Buttery Margarine
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I am trying out different varieties and wound up using SaCo Premium Cocoa, which is half Dutch processed and half natural.)
- 2 tablespoons original almond milk
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Cream your margarine in a small-to-medium mixing bowl.
- Add in your cocoa powder and almond milk, mixing until creamy.
- Mix in your confectioners’ sugar 1/2 cup at a time.
Note: The measurements on the margarine and cocoa powder are set – it is exactly how much confectioners’ sugar and almond milk I used I am not entirely certain of, so feel free to adjust as necessary to get your frosting to turn out to the right consistency.
This frosting is amazing – it tastes just like the truffles you can find at Costco at holiday time – and it will be my go-to recipe for chocolate frosting from now on, so it shouldn’t be long before I can post a finalized recipe for you. 🙂
Original recipe found at: http://www.godairyfree.org/recipes/dairy-free-desserts/chocolate-orange-halloween-cupcakes